Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Women's Retreat or Women's Advance?

I had the privilege of speaking at Timberline Ranch this weekend. I always love to share God's Truth with women and I especially love to share it with smaller sized women. (Ages 8-14) As this was a mother/daughter weekend there were plenty of the latter in the group. After campfire on Saturday night we were all walking away from the fire and into the dark abyss and the women carrying flashlights quickly took on the semblance of a Wal-Mart blue light special.....beacons to hover around....as we walked along in the safety of relative anonymity a little voice behind me said, "I really like Paprika, she is so funny."


Now, I know what you are thinking, "paprika is a spice, that when added to my chili does not remind me of Jay Leno or Bill Cosby....funny is NOT the word that comes to mind....Spicy yes, hilarious, no." Paprika is my Timberline Ranch name. The moment that I step onto the grounds, I become Paprika. This alter ego of mine can go places and do things that Krista never could or would. She sings all the crazy camp songs with reckless abandon, she has even been known to ride a horse and coral a few stubborn cows....Paprika tramps around in her grubs and does not do her hair! Krista would not be caught dead with bed head in a public or even semi public location!


Under the cover of darkness, I very quietly responded to Little Voice, "I least you don't think my mother dresses me funny"....There was a longer than normal pause and then Little Voice said to her friend, "Oh! That was so embarrassing". I assured her that it was quite fine and then we all continued to tramp along in silence until we came under the light of the dining hall and turned in every direction as we headed for bed, never looking at each other.


As I thought about what Little Voice had to say, I was struck by a powerful truth:


Whatever you say, say it with love and sincerity, you never know who is listening!


We have opportunity everyday to bless or curse with our voices. Little Voice spoke with love and sincerity. We spent our weekend together looking at what the scripture has to say about Faith, Hope and Love....If “funny” is what it takes for her to hear that message then so be it. Some of us we hear the message though gut-wrenching sadness, still for others, it is through practical insights void of too much emotion.....

Women's Retreats are really not about retreating, but instead are about advancing....advancing our relationship with our Saviour, advancing our knowledge of His written word to us, advancing our desire to be more like Him in every way. Little Voice spoke her heart in love and sincerity.....may we do the same as we advance through our day.


I want to leave you with Ephesians 3:16-19...may these words encourage your heart.

Ephesians 3:16-19 (New Living Translation)

16 I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. 18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments related to the topic and/or question that has been posed.